Sunday, October 23, 2011

Using Technology with Caution

I hate to admit it, but it may be true. Adding technology may not be producing the results I was hoping for. Although my students last year were engaged and involved in their learning most of the time, their scores on the standardized tests did not show growth. In some cases, the scores went down. Even though they learned how to collaborate, communicate and create, other academic skills needed for the tests were not developed.

This year, as I integrate technology into my curriculum, I am asking myself these questions.

How rigorous is the activity? I am going to use Karen Hess' Cognitive Rigor Matrix to evaluate the learning activities that I am designing, striving for a range of Depth of Knowledge levels. The higher the Depth of Knowledge level, the more deeply students must understand the content to complete the task.

Are the learning outcomes serving a standard? I will begin with the standards. I will ask myself, how will the use of technology help students master those standards? Common Core Standards has been adopted in my state. Using those as well as the Cognitive Rigor Matrix will ensure that the activities will achieve results.

Are my expectations for the process and product high enough? I will use scoring guides with most of my technology activities to help communicate the expectations clearly. When students know what the expectations are, they will strive to reach them.

How will I evaluate the impact of the technology on the learning? I will use data to help me see the impact the use of the technology is having on student learning.

1 comment:

  1. Really interested in what you find out. I personally think some technologies are really useful, but as tech-loving teachers there is always a risk of overuse. I also think the most important thing is to have and know your purpose for using the technology. We need to remember to consider if there is a non-technological way of presenting the material which could result in EVEN MORE effective learning.

    ReplyDelete